Firemen save hog barn from early morning fire

A hog barn was damaged by fire east of Buffalo Center last Thursday, July 18, but local fire crews were able to extinguish the flames in time to save the animals. 

Three local fire departments succeeded in saving a hog barn east of Buffalo Center last Thursday, July 18, when a fire broke out in the early morning hours.

Buffalo Center Fire Chief Brian Blodgett says his department was paged out to the fire at the barn near the intersection of 40th Ave. and Highway 9 at 1:09 a.m. on Thursday.

Buffalo Center responded with all units, and Blodgett says they called for mutual aid from the Rake and Thompson Fire Depts. When they arrived, flames were coming from the west side of the building. Blodgett says they were able to stop the fire and save the majority of the structure along with all the animals.

Blodgett says it appears the fire was caused by some form of electrical issue in the generator section of the building. The fire happened as a storm was moving through the area. While the lightning and most of the rain had moved out, Blodgett says wind was a factor, and the wind changed direction about half an hour into fighting the fire.

For the full story, see this week's Buffalo Center Tribune. Subscribe by calling 1-800-558-1244 ext 122 or email Deb at or by clicking here.